Friday 22 January 2020
HEAT WAVE ALERT: Friday 22 January to Monday 25 January 2021
In an emergency, call Triple Zero (000).
These simple precautions during the heatwave will help people minimise their risk of heat-related illness.
- Drink plenty of water, and remember to carry some with you when you’re out and about.
- If you are travelling, make sure you take water to drink in case you break down or are delayed.
- Avoid alcoholic, hot or sugary drinks.
- Plan your day around the heat. Stay indoors between 11am and 5pm and minimise physical activity.
- Keep the sun out of your house by shading windows with an awning, shade-cloth or plants. Shutting curtains will also help.
And remember, while rivers look inviting, they are a dangerous place to cool off if you are not a confident swimmer.