The $250 million Griffith Base Hospital Redevelopment involves the planning, design and delivery of a hospital designed to meet the needs of Griffith and the surrounding communities both now and into the future.
The project is being delivered in several phases. They include a number of early and enabling works now underway on the health campus and the delivery of a new multi-storey hospital in the main works.
Community consultation on the Schematic Design was completed in July 2020. Additionally, we have been regularly engaging with staff, clinicians, the Local Health Advisory Committee, local stakeholders and Council representatives. Further community consultation opportunities will take place in 2021, in line with the development of the design.
Early and enabling works - Underway now
Non clinical support building, temporary pediatrics ward, and demolition packages
Finalise design and Planning Approval: Early 2020
Tender Award: Mid 2020
Construction: Late 2020
These early and enabling works will further clear the future acute services site area and ensure continued health service operation during the main construction works. Key milestones include:
- A new non clinical support building with capacity to service the new hospital building
- Relocation of the pediatric ward to free up the site for the future hospital and maintain this service with a close relationship to the maternity unit
- Demolition of redundant buildings which sit within the future redevelopment zone, making the site ready for the new hospital.
Watch a short video explaining the early and enabling works:
Ambulatory Care Hub, extension to Critical Care and the Inpatient Units
Construction completed: 2020
- The Ambulatory Care Hub which features:
- An increase from 4 to 8 chemotherapy chairs plus 1 treatment space
- Hospital in the Home
- Comfortable and modern therapy and consulting rooms
- An ambulatory rehabilitation gymnasium.
- An expanded building footprint to the Medical Services Building to incorporate additional support areas and storage in the Critical Care Unit and Perioperative areas.
- Expansions to improve the functionality of the Medical and Surgical floors in the Inpatient Unit (IPU) to the south of the building, including for an inpatient rehabilitation gymnasium.
Temporary Renal Unit
Construction commenced: Early 2018
Construction completed: October 2018
The temporary renal unit features:
- An increase from 6 to 10 chairs
- Two additional training chairs
- Contemporary health service model
- Views to landscaped areas and additional public art
Main construction works
Concept design release and consultation: October 2019
Concept design – schematic design – detailed design and planning approval: 2021
Tender for main construction works: 2021
Main works features the new Acute Services Building, which will be built to the north of the existing main hospital building and will include:
- A new emergency department
- New services including Aged Care and Rehabilitation beds
- New operating theatres
- Medical imaging
- Outpatient care to include expanded – renal, oncology, Hospital in the Home, clinics and outpatient rehabilitation gym
- A clinical link to the adjoining private hospital.
Main works also includes the demolition of remaining redundant buildings, new car parking and extensive landscaping of the health campus.