Murrumbidgee Local Health District's Health Promotion team is working in schools and sporting clubs to increase healthy food options in these settings.
Children are bombarded with unhealthy food messages every day. It makes it hard for children to know what is healthy and what isn’t. Healthy options in canteens help children easily choose what their bodies need.
We have been working closely with canteens since 2015. See our report from our early school canteen menu support program and our animated video. The video shows the benefits of healthy school canteens and celebrates the milestone of 100% public primary schools achieving the healthy school canteen strategy.
'Click a Pic' of your healthy school canteen competition
We are excited to invite schools in our District to enter our 'Click a Pic' photo competition. This will capture what healthy canteens are doing to promote ‘everyday’ foods and drinks.
View our flyer for more information.
Over the coming months, we will share the four p’s of marketing to assist schools with the competition and canteen practices. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for these posts.
'Click a Pic' photo competition Terms and conditions
Healthy canteen evaluation results
We have summarised a range of projects that have supported aspects of Healthy Canteens through these evaluation snapshots. Please read these to get an understanding of the projects and if you have any questions please get in touch with us at email@example.com
How we can help
- Live Life Well at School. Through this program we help canteens to meet the NSW Healthy School Canteen Strategy. For more information on Healthy School Canteens visit the NSW Healthy Canteens Website.
- Healthy Food Finder. For help in choosing healthy foods for your school canteen please visit the Healthy Food Finder website. This lists foods that are classifed as Everyday or Occasional and advises whether foods meet criteria for the NSW Healthy School Canteen Strategy.
- Canteen operations coaching. Coaching will be tailored to your needs and may focus on profitability, policies, menu planning, marketing, canteen processes and operations. Register your interest for coaching and please see our flyer for more information. Our evaluation infographic highlights the main outcomes of the pilot project.
- High schools. The Secondary School Support Service is dedicated to supporting NSW secondary schools to meet the NSW Healthy School Canteen Strategy.
- Canteen managers, staff and volunteers can contact the service on 1300 724 850 between the hours of 8:30-4:30pm, weekdays.
- Canteen network meetings. These occur in several locations around the district, including online. These are for canteen managers, volunteers, P&C members, school staff and food suppliers. They are opportunities to share ideas and support one another to run good canteen businesses that supply healthy food to children in our schools. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information about these meetings.
Upcoming Canteen Network Meetings
Schools Achieving a Healthy Canteen
Congratulations to the schools who have achieved a Healthy Canteen and have had their menu assessed by the Menu Check Service. We encourage schools to maintain their healthy canteen status. Browse the menus from these schools for inspiration for your school's healthy canteen menu. You can see the list of schools below.
Finish with the Right Stuff for sporting clubs
The Finish with the Right Stuff program works with sporting clubs to help their canteens provide healthy food choices for players and spectators before, during and after the game. Find out more about the Right Stuff program.
Or contact us at email@example.com to see how we can help you to achieve a healthy and profitable canteen.