We are providing healthier foods and drinks at outlets in 2018. As a health provider, we have a responsibility to set a good example.
We are making the healthy choice an easy choice in food and drink outlets in our facilities such as:
- Cafes and cafeterias
- Vending machines and fridges
- Kiosks and coffee and snack carts
We encourage you to:
- Make water your drink of choice
- Enjoy a range of healthy food options
- Choose high sugar or high fat foods only ‘sometimes’ and in smaller portions
For more information about Healthy Choices, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Healthy Choices in Health Facilities?
Over half of adults and nearly one quarter of children are overweight or obese in NSW, increasing their risk of heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes and other disease.
‘Healthy Choices’ is one of many actions to address health and wellbeing in NSW. Other programs and initiatives include:
The Australian Guide to Healthy Eating shows what foods we should eat most.
Food and drink outlets will align more closely with the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating by providing:
Wider availability of ‘every day’, healthy foods and drinks
- Better quality food and drink
- Reduced portion sizes
- Marketing and promotion of everyday, healthy foods.
Where do Healthy Choices apply?
Healthy Choices only applies to food and drinks sold in health facilities. It does not apply to food served to in-patients or brought from home.