Our Local Health District is committed to improving the health journey for people with disability, their carers and families. This includes the creation of inclusive and welcoming environments where the needs of people with disability are met.
Our Commitment to inclusion
As part of our commitment to disability inclusion, staff should strive to:
- Recognise patients with disability and respond to their needs,
- Respect the individual’s abilities and
- Empower the individual and their carer to actively participate in the planning and management of their care.
Patients, their families and carers who are Deaf who or do not speak English as a first language have the right to free, confidential and professional interpreters when they use public health services.
- Members of the public, including patients, their family/friends/carers, are not required to contact the NSW Health Care Interpreter Services (HCIS) directly to book an interpreter.
- The responsibility to book the interpreter lies with a health provider who is seeing a patient/client who requires an interpreter’s assistance. However, the links below will enable you to find out more about your local HCIS and its coverage.
- The Health Care Interpreter Service for Murrumbidgee Local Health District can be found by this link or by phoning 1800 247 272.
National Disability Insurance Scheme
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is the new way of providing support for Australians with disability, their families and carers. The NDIS will provide all Australians under the age of 65 who have a permanent and significant disability with the reasonable and necessary supports they need to enjoy an ordinary life.
The NDIS is administered by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) and can be contacted on 1800 800 110. The Local Area Coordintors may also be able to provide support to our community regarding NDIS on 1800 522 679.
We understand that this transition is significant and can be confusing. Our staff may sometimes be involved in helping patients and their carers to gather appropriate information for the access to the NDIS and preparation of their NDIS plans.
EnableNSW provides equipment and services to people in NSW with chronic health conditions or disability to assist them with mobility, communication and self-care. EnableNSW also provides financial assistance for people who have to travel significant distances to access specialist medical treatment which is not available to them locally.