Most families are now trying to inform their family and friends of their wishes around hospital visiting, but if you are unsure and wish to visit a new mother in hospital, here is a list of things to consider:
- Always check with the hospital when visiting hours are, it can be disappointing to make a journey only to find out you have arrived outside the visiting hours and might not be allowed in.
- Always ask the family if it’s OK to visit, and ask for permission to bring along children if you need to.
- When visiting always make sure that everyone uses the handwash made available by the hospital before and after entering the room.
- Try to ensure your visit is short enough to enable the mother and baby their special time to bond.
- If you are a family member always ask if it is OK for you to hold the baby.
- New mothers can be very sensitive about the potential spread of infections, if you have a cold or are not feeling well, please stay at home and send your apologies.