Our pharmacy service is comprised of pharmacists and pharmacy technicians who work as part of the healthcare team looking after you in hospital. We work especially closely with doctors and nurses to support the best use of medicines.
Our pharmacy services team are located at Deniliquin Hospital, Griffith Base Hospital, Wagga Wagga Base Hospital and Young Hospital. The team also supports all other Murrumbidgee LHD health services with remote pharmacist support and regular onsite visits.
How will our pharmacy service help you?
Our pharmacy team ensures the safe and effective use of medicines throughout your hospital stay. Coming into hospital often involves changes to your medicines. A medicine review involves checking all your medicines with you. Our pharmacists are highly trained medicine experts who are available to support you with any queries you have about your medicines and provide you with up to date information.
The pharmacy service includes:
- Supporting the selection of the best medication at the correct dose for an appropriate duration.
- Preventing, minimising and monitoring any side effects of medication and interactions between medications.
- Providing medication counselling and information to patients, families and carers.
- Providing specialist advice on medication therapy to healthcare professionals.
- Ensuring availability of hospital prescribed medications in a timely manner and access to patients across the Murrumbidgee LHD.
- Providing up to date information about patient’s medications at the time of discharge or transfer to another hospital, including any recent changes to medications.
- Ensuring the suitable and safe use of antibiotics.
Pharmacy Services available:
- Antimicrobial Stewardship Pharmacists are available at Wagga Wagga, Griffith and Young to advise and support the suitable, safe and effective use of antibiotics and other medications prescribed for patients with infections.
- A Mental Health Pharmacist service is available from Wagga Wagga.